Jul 22, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog (Curriculog Connected) 
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog (Curriculog Connected)

Student Accessibility Services

Salem Academy and College is committed to providing students with disabilities with an equal opportunity to access the College’s academic, social, and recreational activities and programs. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, any student who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities is eligible for reasonable accommodations. Although college students are not required to disclose a disability, those who wish to do so, and to request reasonable academic or other program-related accommodations, may do so at any time during their college career. To begin the request process for reasonable accommodations, students should complete the registration form provided on the Student Accessibility Services website. In cases where a disability is not obvious, students should be prepared to submit documentation that supports the need for requested accommodations. Documentation must come from a licensed professional in the field of the student’s particular disability and should:

  • Be current (generally, no more than three years old, but may vary depending on the nature of the disability for which accommodations are sought).
  • Be on the letterhead of a qualified, licensed treating professional (e.g., medical doctor, psychologist, neuropsychologist, psychiatrist, etc.).
  • Include a diagnosis of the current disability.
  • Indicate how the diagnosed disability affects a major life activity.
  • Describe how the disability affects academic performance (as applicable).
  • Include diagnostic assessment/testing results related to the disability (as applicable).
  • Identify any specific accommodation(s) recommended by the qualified, licensed treating professional.

Salem College reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of all submitted documentation; however, there may be some instances in which students can satisfy requirements with documentation from another institution of higher education. Additionally, Student Accessibility Services can review Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 plan documents students had in place during high school. However, neither IEP nor 504 plans transfer to college. As a result, students who wish to request accommodations during college should be prepared to provide documentation which includes the information specified above.

Students who have questions about the process associated with having an animal on campus are also encouraged to complete the registration form on the Student Accessibility Services website. Registrations should indicate whether the animal is an emotional support animal or a service animal.

For pregnant students needing accommodation due to pregnancy or childbirth, the Title IX Coordinator (titleix@salem.edu) serves as an additional resource for students.

Individuals who have questions about disability accommodations should contact the Director of Academic Support and Student Accessibility Disability Services or Dean of Undergraduate Studies (academic or other program-related accommodations) or the Office of the Dean of Students (housing or dining-related accommodations) so that adequate preparations can be made to facilitate attendance and participation in College programs and activities as needed.